Monday, August 15, 2011

the best damn job in the universe...





Someone wise once said
that a teacher affects eternity,
as they don't know where their influence ends...

but what is it that
influences a teacher?

perhaps it is a friend
back in Sydney
who
reminds another friend
that they have spent
half of their life
spreading joy
& teaching others...?

or perhaps it is
being presented with
a tiny towel
with a ribbon tied around it
in a bow,
at a train station
at the end of the universe...?

no,
I think it was the next morning...

I think it was
upon seeing
a collection of letters
written by children,
to their beloved teacher;
when discovering she was leaving.

At the very bottom of
one of the letters,
I noticed
the ink in the words
was running, smeared,
stained by a teardrop.

And at that very moment
I feel tears run down my own face.
I am filled with delight
that my newest, dearest friend
has reminded me:

I have
the BEST
damn job
in the entire
world
UNIVERSE!!


-For Corinne :)

(c) Brent M Harpur, 2011.

"If adults are happy, they give children a reason to want to grow up." (Dr. Patch Adams)

No comments:

Post a Comment