Sunday, May 5, 2013

tiny heart / shell...

 
 
 
Once,
while out walking by the sea,
I found a tiny shell on the beach.
 
I held it up to my ear,
and heard
a tiny heartbeat inside.
 
And at that beautiful, yet brief
 tender-like-the-tide moment
 
I realised
it wasn't a shell at all,
 
but a tiny heart.
 
Your heart.
 
And as I held it to my ear,
I heard the sounds of:
 
tail tangled seahorses riding on waves,
 
distant satellites chirping & chattering, serenading the stars,
 
waves laplaplapping on sea-worn hulls,
 
lighthouses guiding but not assisting,
 
hermit crabs moving house for the sixteenth time this year.
 
And I also heard
amongst all these other
sea-like sounds,
 
(in this tiny heart-shell)...
 
my heart.
 
And the sunset tonight
is the brightest, most intense orange
 
I have ever seen.
 
 
 
(c) Brent M Harpur, 2013.
 
- For JKH.
 
"Please / Man ain't supposed to live alone / No that ain't what he needs / He needs to find a home /    With someone else that needs a man / A man that needs a home / Man ain't supposed to live alone."
(Josh Ritter)
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment