Tuesday, April 5, 2011

dancing star (i) glasgow winter


today I saw a young woman
struggling with a suitcase
on the train.

dancing star,
near or far,
just remember that 
wherever you are:

you are filled with courage
and fire
and
I am so, so proud of you, girl.

try not to be angry.
learn to channel that anger
into your art

your dancing peers
are not always your best friends
or housemates

make new friends
with different kinds of creatives,
they'll inspire and nurture you
in ways
you never dreamt
possible.

(and they'll share their chocolate & music with you)

and I,
I who have nothing of great value,
all I have to offer you 
from this tyranny of distance
are these tiny few words...


when you have to venture out
into this overlong,
harsh glasgow winter
hold these words
tightly in your hands!!

may their warmth
gently tickle & burn
within your palms,
ignite embers in your heart,
& your wings

and your feet


may they light your path,
take the edge off these seasonal chills,
melt the snow and anger away.

close your eyes for a moment,
and you'll see
a flicker of blue flame
behind your lids
feel its glow,
be filled with wonder,
birdsong & my
invincible
summer.


and it bears repeating:
I AM SO, SO PROUD OF YOU, GIRL!

(never, ever forget that)


(c) Brent M Harpur, 2011.

- For VK


"For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." (robert louis stevenson)

No comments:

Post a Comment