Saturday, July 30, 2011

stars & bars & the answer to life, the universe & everything...


Oh to find some
love or joy in this world
is never that simple
But last night (in a bar in Fitzroy)
I met a girl like me
who had a missing dimple.

She immediately struck me
about the head like a gold brick!

(apologies, Douglas)

It has been a while
since I have made a connection
with such a kindred heart;
Maybe it was
just the mutual appreciation
of Mr. Adams,
or a love for teaching art?

Whatever it was,
amongst the smokers' glittering stars
she was a breath of fresh air,
with her beautiful soul, smile & mind;
Removing my wooly glove
I took her hand, leading her outside
& for a moment I was no longer blind.

I hope I bump into her again,
feast on a few more precious words;
hear & see the constellations
spilling from her genuine
smiling eyes...
If only it is
just to thank her for briefly
filling my night
with some Douglas-like
wonder, humour & surprise!

A parting hug in Brunswick Street
& she was gone.
I wandered lost but homeward bound;
With the feeling Arthur Dent must have felt
when he first met a girl
whose feet never touched the ground.

(it seems silly to mention it now,
but before we even started talking
about the genius of Douglas Adams,
I wanted to tell her
that she somehow reminded me
of Trillian...

Not the TV
or radioplay
or film version.

How I imagined she would look,
all those years ago
when I first read the book...)
This morning
I lie here, more than a little wrecked,
(il communicado)
a babel fish slipping
from my ear into my bed;
I am delighted to discover
that I can still see her
"answer to life, the universe & everything"
smile blazing
in the expanding universe
within my head.

You were right, Douglas!
It REALLY is...

"42".

-for Corinne :)

(c) Brent M Harpur, 2011.

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." (Douglas Adams)

No comments:

Post a Comment