Saturday, March 30, 2013

Gypsy Pirate Spirit (I am not afraid)




 
(i)
 
I,
I am not that smart,
nor (indeed) brave.
 
And my art,
it doth no longer
behave!
 
Who am I trying to save?
 
I eat stars,
like unripe apples
& nearly choke
on fiery cores /
 
Am lost, yet found.
Love's biggest fool,
and yet
 
Love's biggest cause.
 
A cause hopeful or hopeless,
I will let you, dear reader,
decide.
 
(ii)
 
And they say
that a one-eyed man is King
in the Valley of the Blind /
 
But my heart is like a prison
in which I lie confined.
 
I'll drink all thee world's oceans
just to find her shore /
 
My wretched soul
a restless castaway,
doomed to forever
 
explore.
 

 
(iii)
 
And yet!
And yet,
 
lest I damn forget!!
 
I would give it all up,
give it all away,
 
I hope she'll understand /
 
For just one moment
in her company,
to one last time
 
hold
her salt-stained hand.
 
(iv)
 
I am merely
a Gypsy Pirate,
 
on these decks tonight
more than a little
 
seasick & homesick
 
and possessed
by the fullest of full moon /
 
mourning
countless loves
and lovers,
 
alas!
 
Gone too soon.
 
(v)
 
But today,
on this Friday Good,
 
I confess /
 
I will eat my bodyweight
in chocolate,
 
no less!!
 
It is true
that many a fair maiden
got my body & my bed /
 
But you were
one of the few (my dear)
 
that got my heart
(but much
 more important than that)
 
my head.
 
You left, I stayed.
 
And I am no longer afraid!
 
I still do not know
 who I am trying to save /
 
But I am no longer afraid!!
 
 
(vi)
 
And much
in the same (yet different) way
 
that the clouds tonight
hold (briefly)
onto the moon,
 
I (too)
hold onto memories
 
of holding the salt-stained
hand of
 
a lovely mermaid...
 
Now I finally see / it was only me
 that I was trying to save...
  
And I will never
 ever (ever)
 again
 be afraid.
 
Yes,
 I am
 no longer
 afraid!!
 

 
 
(c) Brent M Harpur, 2013.
 
"Art should comfort the disturbed & disturb the comfortable." (Cesar Cruz)
"All art requires courage." (Anne Tucker)


No comments:

Post a Comment