Monday, March 25, 2013

not many words that rhyme with orange...



 
 
I am in Byron.
I have not slept for nearly
twenty-four hours.
 
I close my eyes,
lie here in early morning sun
and behind closed lids
 
I see orange.
 
It warms me, comforts me.
 
It makes me think of you
at Central station
in your orange dress,
drinking orange juice from a bottle.
 
I had forgotten
that this
is only the second time
we had met.
 
Once before,
a year & a half ago
at a conference in Melbourne.
 
I drew you
and we talked about your Dad,
 
perhaps one of the best conversations
I have ever had.
 
Usually,
when I draw people
I don't do a lot of talking.
 
I let the other person talk
and give the illusion I am multi-tasking.
But it is quite an effort
to talk (really talk, to engage)
 
and draw at the same time.
 
I think we, (however)
might have had a real connection that day...
 
And now, this second time.
 
I can remember
every single thing we talked about
during our first meeting,
 
as if it was only yesterday.
 
Orange.
 
I feel very comfortable
when I talk with you.
 
This is not
always the case,
when it comes to talking with girls...
 
WIth you, I am not so shy.
A little braver, perhaps bolder?
 
I had forgotten
 how gorgeous your smile was.
 
And I am more than a little
 mesmerised by your accent...
 
You too, (like me)
are not from this part of the world.
 
We agree,
this is a very strange place
indeed.
 
While we talk,
time does not exist. I do not notice
the thousands of others
bustling around us like ants...
 
We talk easily about
 
intuition,
immigration,
your sister getting married,
babies,
 
and love. *
 
And just as
the conversation is starting to get really interesting,
it is time to board my train for Byron...
 
Orange.
 
I wish so, so much
that you could accompany me to the Premiere.
 
We hug goodbye.
 
A real hug,
the kind I miss
and don't get enough of in my life.
 
Is that your soul I can feel
touching mine
as we hold each other?
 
I close my eyes,
we hold each other so close
 
and I see orange.
 
In those arms I feel so safe & warm.
 
I kiss you on the cheek goodbye.
 
You blow me a kiss.
I look away for a moment,
and you are gone.
 
I look down
and see your unfinished orange juice
on the cafe table.
 
It makes me smile,
and think of your orange dress.
 
Travel well, Gentle/Strong Aries Soul!!
 
I will think of you often
and that wonderful smile...
 
It is true.
There are not many words
that rhyme with orange.
 
I have so little to offer you.
But maybe I could offer:
 
A gentle heart,
a genuine smile
and a generous soul.
 
Would that be enough?
 
* And love? What of love??
 
My heart has seen
so much action lately,
 
and yet I am still
not really sure what love is...
 
But of one thing
I am sure.
 
I am ready now.
 
I am ready...
 
To love
and to be loved.
 
...And if the right girl comes along,
    to make beautiful babies!!!
 
 
(c) Brent M Harpur, 2013.


"But logic never could convince the heart!!" (Colin Raye)
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment