Tuesday, May 19, 2015

a code that is meant for you & I alone, even during an absence of penguins...




I will always 
be thankful
that when I arrived (unannounced)
to say goodbye,

you took it very well.

I had come such a long way,
and all my female posse agreed
that I should surprise you.

I hated myself for the
white lies I had to tell to achieve this...

I am glad you liked the teeshirt.

Please never forget
what it says,
on both
the front & the back.

And it was worth all those hours of 
public-transport endurance
for the memory of 
sitting together
on the top of the red 'City-Hopper'.

I love being by water with you:
It is where we have had some
wonderful times.

Even when there are no penguins.

My little cards in the State Library:
Surrender, simplicity, love.

And for that other memory
that will always
make me smile...

The briefest of moments in a bar:

(after some of the best
 wings, blue-cheese sauce
 & American dark ale in the Universe):

When you boldly took
this fellow-introvert by the hand
and led me through a
parting slow-motion red sea 

of alcohol,
Sharpies
& Economics students.

In that particular
fleeting moment,
I felt we were right back in our
very own movie again.

And I personally feel
that even the
crappier scenes of the last two days
should remain
in the Director's Cut.

I remember now
my friend Rosza & I agreeing,
over coffee
(and before my 2.5 day marathon
 of public transport):

"Two hundred dollars can
  buy you a lot of groceries,
  but it can also buy you

  a good* good-bye."



(c) Brent Harpur, 2015.

* well, mostly.

"I don't want to change you, I don't want to change you, I don't want to change your mind." (Damien Rice) 

"You cannot save people, you can only love them." (Anais Nin)

No comments:

Post a Comment