Saturday, May 9, 2015

half a lifetime ago...


Half a lifetime ago
(or was it just yesterday?)

I was twenty three years old.

I had so much love to give...

But I was probably looking
in all the wrong places.

(then again,
it was probably
right under my nose.)

I was crippled by
shyness & homesickness.

I hated my eyebrows.

I didn't realise the power
of my art
or my poetry...

...but I wrote & drew every single day.

'Ramble On' by Led Zeppelin
was a sacred scripture
written just for me.
Jimmy's mandolin strummed
at my very heart & soul,
like angel wings.

I cried. And often.
(but secretly knew
 somewhere deep inside
 that being vulnerable was a strength)

I didn't call my mother
as much as I should have.
I didn't realise how much
they worry about you.

I started to
face up to the childhood monsters
(and wasn't ashamed
 to ask for help with this).

I ate too much chocolate,
slept alot
and hated to exercise. 

I had so much doubt and yet so much ambition.

Every week I tried to do one thing that scared me.

I wanted to be Dr. Seuss when I grew up.

I believed in magic.

I looked after my friends,
and tried to always keep in touch.

And I was in love with Tilda Swinton.


So much
has changed.

And yet...

Nothing at all has changed.

But I am beginning
to love my eyebrows.


(c) Brent Harpur 2015.

"The only things worth living for are innocence & magic." (David Gray)

No comments:

Post a Comment