Wednesday, October 31, 2012

in the entire history of humankind...


 
I have come
such a long, long way,
 
you opened up your door.
 
And in celebration
of my forty-fourth year:
 
You have made for me
 
the sweetest,
most perfect dessert
ever known to humankind...
 
We have parted now,
 
and I walk past
bright purple jacarandas.
 
I marvel at their amazing colour
set against
a sky of purest blue.
 
Meanwhile, in another part of the city:
 
You paint jacarandas
and a bright blue butterfly
 
in an artwork celebrating Spring.
 
I discover a park
behind Central Station
 
filled with deckchairs.
 
I sit down in one
to finish off remains
 
of my special birthday treat.
 
Meanwhile, at the same time
far across the city
 
alone (yet together)...
 
You're
having a break from painting,
 
finishing off
the dairy free
chocolate ice cream
 
I left in your freezer.
 
In the sunlight,
I wear a child-like smile
from ear to ear;
 
as I dig
 
(with re-newed enthusiasm)
into my
strawberry & blueberry
mini pavlovas
 
with jam glaze coating!!
 
The glaze
coats my tongue
& tickles my nose,
 
and I close my eyes
to intensify
the taste...
 
(Behind closed eyelids,
 
 I see myself once more
 
 in your hallway,
 in your doorway,
 in your arms.
 
 We are holding
 each other so, so close.)
 
And right at this moment
in the park,
 
never, ever, EVER
 
(in the entire history of humankind)...
 
Has a dessert
 
tasted so, SO sweet
   and so salubrious!!!
 

 
 
 
 
(c) Brent M Harpur, 29/10/2012.
 
"The object isn't to make art, it's to be in that wonderful state which makes art inevitable."
(Robert Henri)
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment