Saturday, October 13, 2012

the three most beautiful things...



Have you ever imagined
what it would be like...

For the sun to come out in the middle of the night?

Or to look upon the dry red desert sand
and to suddenly see it

bloom with a 1,000 tiny red flowers??

Or for the entire skyline
to become a single rainbow light???

And so much more beauty,

imagine it if you will...

I no longer have to
imagine these things

for I have seen your smile.

And in your smile
I have seen all these things...

...and so, so much more.


***


In the (nearly) forty-four years
I have walked upon this earth,

the three most beautiful things
I have ever seen

are:

(in no particular order)

A painting by van Gogh of his chair.

The early morning gold & silver
glitter skyline
(from a plane window)

of Beunos Aires.

and...

Your smile.

Should I go blind,
these are

the three things

that I will hold onto in my head
and never erase.

These three things will
keep me sane,
make me smile from ear to ear,

even when I lose all my teeth...

And the memory of

these three things

will help me
to remain an artist,

even in darkness.

Even in darkness.



(c) Brent M Harpur, 2012.


- For E.

"I often think that the night is more alive and more richly coloured than the day." (Vincent van Gogh)

"For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream." (Vincent van Gogh)

No comments:

Post a Comment