Saturday, February 14, 2015

A few centimetres taller...


This morning I have awoken to find that my feet stretch a little over the length of my bed. Perhaps the bed has shrunk in the night? Or perhaps, it is I who has grown a few centimetres?? Wiggling my toes (as they dangle in mid-air over the edge of the mattress) I feel like I am levitating a little. Defying gravity, but still in an inert, horizontal position.

But wait...

I have also realised that the width of my bed (on either side of me) has changed. It now seems to stretch on for miles & miles on either side of my naked body. I shiver. Where once I seemed to occupy most of the mattress, I now feel very tiny & small, almost as if I have awoken in the middle of a large valley or chasm.

I close my eyes tight, find my sheet and bury my head in my pillow (it still smells of you)... I intuitively reach out for a warm, jigsaw piece-fit of a hand. But it is not there.
I shiver again. But this time from desire & memory, not of fear.

I fall into a deep sleep, and in my dream my tiny/huge bed has become a boat... I cast off from the shore, into uncharted waters, with only the memory of your warm embrace and the stars to guide me...

It is true. I cannot see those stars very well. But you, you my dear (and you alone): You have given me something stronger than all the constellations I cannot see and these charts I cannot read.

You have given me:

Trust...

And love...

And magic. 


(c) Brent Harpur 11/2/2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment